Dr Edmund Thamsanqa Mazwai
Dr Thami Mazwai is on the National Planning Commission and is a former adviser to the Minister of Small Business Development. He set up the Centre for Small Business Development (CSBD) at the University of Johannesburg and was later attached to the small business centre at the Wits Business School.
In January 2013 he was in Russia as part of a panel of experts that is looking at methodologies to integrate small business into the value chains of the Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa (BRICS) countries. He was a member of the Skills System Review Technical Task Team (SSRTTT) of the Human Resource Development Council of South Africa. He has an enterprise development strategy for rural areas and also designed a strategy to identify robust small businesses that can grow into formidable entities.
Educational qualification and activities:
- D. Comm (UP)
- Currently busy with D.Phil. on entrepreneurship in marginalised communities
- MBA (Henley Management College) and specialised on project management
- Management Development Programme (Harvard University)
- Senior Management Development Programme, (Templeton College, Oxford)
- Former Adjunct Professor of Fort Hare
- Former Adjunct Professor University of Western Cape
- Former Resident Executive Wits Business School
- Taught Intrapreneurship at University of Johannesburg
- Former External Examiner University of Pretoria
- Former Member of the Gauteng Advisory Council in the Premier’s office
- Former Member of skills development task team of the Human Resources Council of South Africa.
- Set up Business Unity South Africa (BUSA) task team on small business
- Former Vice president of the International Federation of Journalists with special responsibilities for Africa from 1986 to 1988.
- Founder chairperson of the Black Editors Forum and on task force developing training in business and economics for black journalists.
- Former and founder Chairperson of South African National Editors Forum.
- Past director of the Small Enterprise Development Agency (Seda);Former Convener of the National Small Business Advisory Council (2006 to 2009)
- Former member of the Technical Working Group of the JIPSA